Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Good Health Fairy

Last Friday, I was asked to attend a local Breast Cancer event in the community. Luckily, my best friend was back early from vacation, so I wouldn't have to meet the press alone. The event was hosted at the local winery. Since I can talk your ear off regarding wine, food and or breast cancer I was relieved to find out that the breast cancer community does, in fact, host events at wine tastings. Spectacular.

Unfortunately, the winery has been one that has disappointed in the past and shall remain nameless. I hadn't tasted the current vintage, but the word on the street was that a young, talented winemaker had finally began making palatable wines. Mind you my tastebuds are not quite right with the chemo...my palate is off...but that stuff was crap! Good thing I had gotten high before going, and had chewed on Altoids in the car on the way. It didn't matter that I couldn't taste, the Acte 12 was like underripe apples on cheap wood.

Regardless of the inadequate bar, fall ensembles were worn by all in attendance. And I do mean ensembles. I wore a fitted black suit with a cream wool turtleneck. Red Aigners and the paisley scarf from my mother. Gold leaf-shaped earrings and my glasses. Kim and Dr. D wore pink jackets, both suede and ruffled. Page and Natalie also wore turtlenecks. I do admit it was the "safe" option for a crisp autumn evening. Neither social nor business attire.

One sixty-ish survivor wore a pink satin ball gown. She had platinum blond shoulder length hair and wore a crown of mylar ribbons. Her pink satin pumps were dyed to match. She introduced herself as the Good Health Fairy. I gulped down the crappy wine as I came to the realization that I was eager to ease back onto the couch and watch TV.

Thankfully, the speaker was about to begin. It was a doctor from my oncologist's practice whom I had never met. Unfortunately it seemed that he had recalled making my acquaintance. I was a bit taken back by his boyish good looks, I had envisioned either a female or an older gentleman...not a boyish biology major.

I spoke my piece with regard to BSE's for younger women during the question and answer session. Dr. D. also thanked me for speaking so publicly on the topic of breast cancer. I replied that I believed that was the true meaning of awareness.

Kim and I split after the talk. I made the effort to speak with the presenting doctor on the way out and compared the winery's chardonnay to chewing on a stick. I encouraged him to alternately taste the meritage.

Back on the interstate in less than an hour and a half...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home